Luke and Justin discuss how to develop and design winning Amazon FBA products through product development research. Luke’s discusses his experiences so far learning from the podcast and what he takes away from it. While Justin highlights how he does product marketing research using Amazon reviews and what percentage of people mention important things to improve the products around.
Links Talked About
Google Keyword Tool – Our favorite tool to find how many searchers are done on our keywords.
Amazon Top Seller List – The magic list to do research on Amazon PL products.
Alibaba Marketplace – My favorite place to find manufactures in China to create private label products.
Downloads From Podcast
Product Development & Improvement Worksheet – (instructions also included in spreadsheet notes).
Ways to get more granular with your Amazon FBA private label product research
– In addition to doing my basic product research when choosing private label products I will expand off the data to find even more gems.
– I do this by taking the best products from the previous results we talked about researching in episode 3 in a spreadsheet and branching off in the categories in a new spreadsheet like the last one.
– Then add small products in the Amazon top seller list category of the products you found repeating the same exercise.
– I recommend that you also explore subcategories and add products to your list that compliment each other.
– This way if you choose to build a brand you can cross promote them and make the most of your advertising spend.
– This research should give you a good idea too of what type products you can private label next.
– Typically I am doing this almost every few days and building a master list of ideas to expand off of, but I would recommend it be done at least once or twice a week.
– I will also click on the brands of the products listed to see which other products they are selling.
– Sometimes I will also go to Google trends and see the search volume of people searching for those products over time and get an idea if sales are seasonal.
Once you have decided on which products your interested in most you are going to want to find ways to improve them.
1. The benefits of improving the private label FBA products.
– It will give your products an edge in the Amazon marketplace over everyone else.
– You can differentiate yourself in more competitive markets.
– Improving your products will enable your products to stand out and increase your advertising conversions and save you money over time.
– You will get better reviews if you end up fixing problems with other competing products customers complained about.
– More people will want to review your product when you start building up your reviews on your Amazon listing if your product is different.
– The more you improve on products the better you will become at spotting products that can be improved on.
2. Researching Amazon Product Reviews to Improve PL Products
– To do this just visit Amazon then search and click on the ratings of the product your interested in selling
– Then look for common descriptive words about your product people complain about and praise. We will then organize them in this spreadsheet in the appropriate “columns”. Click here to access the spreadsheet.
– In order to get access to the reviews scroll down on one of the product listings in the Amazon listing and click the “See all reviews” link underneath the “customer review chart”.
– If there are not enough reviews you may need to go through more then one products, however I try to do this exercise off of at least 500 to 1000+ reviews all together to get a good reading and at least 4 different products. That way if one product has it all figured out you can understand which other ones do not.
– Keep track of the total number of bad reviews and good reviews in the right cells.
– From here once you spot these words you will be able to search for the specific keywords and examine them further. For example I’ll use the “carrot peeler” as our product.
– I saw people complained about parts like the blade being dull or the handle being uncomfortable of it so I searched for and added “blade”, and “handle” to my a spreadsheet where I start to keep track of the things more complained about.
– For your convenience I have updated the spreadsheet on this lesson from the last lesson. Visit
– Next to where it says filtered by select verified purchases and one star reviews from the filter dropdown menu with has “all stars” as a default setting select “1 stars”.
One opened we will go to our product reviews and take the filter them and start adding the descriptive words most talked about in bad reviews in the “Descriptive Words from Bad Reviews” column along with any specific parts of functions of the product mention. For example (“handle”, blade”, “cut”, “sharp”).
– Search each descriptive word while still filtering 1 star reviews and add the number of reviews they are mentioned in in the Times mentioned column.
This gives us an idea of things that we could improve our product and create selling points around to give us an edge on the competition.
– Do the same thing for the positive reviews by selecting the “5 star” selection on the product filter and search for the keywords on your positive rating list.
– These items will help us figure out what people like the most about the product so we can have an idea of what we could improve on as well embrace from the good list.
– By looking at the higher % of these words in the reviews we pulled them from we should get a really good understanding too about our customers needs out of our product.
3. Ways To differentiate Your PL Product from Competitors on Amazon Using Google Keyword Research
– One thing I will keep in mind when after gathering my research from reviews is to figure out how to improve my product around the good and bad things mentioned about it.
– In the spreadsheet on the site I have included a formula to show you the percentage of each word that came up in bad reviews and good reviews if you fill it out with the values with the right data it will automatically calculate them for you.
– So for fun I am going to import a carrot peeler and will try to improve the “handle” and “blade” since the research reflects that and is set in the spreadsheet i shared as an example by showing a high percentage of being mentioned in both positive and negative reviews.
– As well Its fun to brainstorm about ways that your product may be used for different purposes.. For example this carrot peeler could probably also be used as a potato peeler or a tennis ball can be used as a dog toy.
– I will then make a list on the spreadsheet as you see will see in the examples I left on the one I share on my website.
4. Exploring Related Products Amazon Products For Private Label Opportunities
– Then I will visit the Google Keyword planner https://adwords.google.com/KeywordPlanner .
– Click on search for new keyword ad ideas and enter your list of keywords in the “Search for new keyword and ad group ideas” selection and hit the “Get ideas button.
– From the next page you will be able to see suggestions with search volumes by keyword groups. This will give us a good idea of other ways we can label our product.
For example I would sell my carrot peeler as a “vegetable and fruit peeler that works great on carrots and potatoes”.
– I will take those values and add them with the keywords of the keyword groups to my list along with the values for the others we already have.
– These suggestions from Google will also give you an idea of other products you can create that may compliment the one your working on for example I see “potato and apple slicer” as a suggestion, however don’t let these distract you try and make another product off them yet.
– We will however make a list of them in the spreadsheet in the column “products to compliment” as they could be good for targeting on Amazon PPC when marketing our product because if someone needs a “potato slicer” they may also need a “potato peeler” that way we can use these later.
– You can also go to Amazon and click on products your interested in selling and see the common items people buy with them and add them to your list too.
– When you approach manufactures there is a great chance they make these other items depending on how closely related they are.
5. Creating Questions To Think About Asking Manufactures from Alibaba
– Check out the questions on the spreadsheet and create similar questions about your own private label product.
– Create a list of colors or ideas around colors that the market may like to see your product in.
– If you are unsure and designing your product with out enough feedback ask a group of people who would use your product regularly.
.. We will continue the this in our next podcast and get into more details along with showing you the easiest way to communitate
Reach Out To Luke Jiles On Twitter
Luke can be reached @lukejiles on Twitter and appreciates being able to be part of the show. Reach out to him if your from Hollywood and want to hear about his screenplays if your interested too.
Thanks everyone for being part of the Smart Online Seller Podcast. I look forward to catching up with you on our next episode.